Totally Unique Tortilla Recipes That Aren’t Tacos
Whether sweet or savory, fried or grilled, the humble tortilla is one of the most versatile foodie treats to come out of the tropics, as well as one of the most beloved. And what’s not to love?! They are filling, delicious, and come in all sorts of varieties: white and wholemeal flour, corn and gluten-free. What we love about tortillas is their complete versatility and their compliment to almost any meal. Exported to Europe by Spanish conquerors – who first reached the Mexican highlands in the 16th century – tortillas were the favored staple of the people of Mesoamerica for thousands of years. Traditionally made with corn flour, tortillas are now found in a variety of flavors. Their inherent adaptability has made them a beloved staple the world over.
Want to discover some totally amazing ways to enjoy your favorite flat bread?
Dig into your pantry and get creative, because there’s a lot more to tortillas than just tacos!
Here are two of our favorite quick, easy and healthy tortilla recipes:
- 4 x wheat-flour tortillas
- 1 x bunch fresh rocket lettuce
- 1 x cup shaved Parmesan
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 2 x tablespoons balsamic cream*
- *As opposed to vinegar, balsamic cream has a much thicker consistency and infinitely richer flavour.
- This is a super quick and easy recipe, as it requires no cooking at all. Simply take a tortilla, lay a few rocket leaves along the mid-section, add one slice of prosciutto (or skip if you’re vegetarian), a few shavings of Parmesan, some chopped tomatoes and top with a few small dollops of the Balsamic cream. Gently fold the end, roll and enjoy!
- 4 flour tortillas
- 1 can of your favorite pie filling (apricot and cherry are the best!)
- 1 cup whipped cream
- Confectioner’s sugar, cinnamon, or any other dusting powder you fancy.
- Preheat oil in a skillet to about 350°F (180°C). Place a tablespoon of the pie filling at the centre of a tortilla and fold carefully on all four sides. Fry the tortilla for about 2-3 minutes on both sides, or until golden. Drain on absorbent paper, sprinkle sugar and cinnamon powder and top with a generous dollop of whipped cream. Serves 4.