Oaxaca, Mexico Recipe: Cactus Salad with Aderezo Dressing
While in Oaxaca, Mexico, TropicsGourmet contributor Alejandro Filloy was able to enjoy an immersive cooking class that taught him to build traditional recipes from the region. He brought back with him a fun story and several recipes. Whip up this cactus salad with aderezo dressing for an appetizer or side dish that is never boring.
- 15 small cactus pads, with the
spinesremoved and cubed
- 5 Avocado leaves
- 8 Epazote leaves
- 2 Tomatoes, cubed
- ½ large White onion, diced
- 1 cup of jicama, cubed
- 1 avocado
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 lime, juice
- Oaxaca queso fresco
- Combine the tomatoes, the onion and the jicama in a bowl and set aside.
- Add the cubed cacti to a pot of boiling water. Boil the cacti until it turns a darker shade of green, about 15 minutes.
- Add the avocado and epazote leaves and let cool.
- Once cooled, remove the avocado and epazote leaves and add the cacti to the rest of the ingredients.
- In a blender, blend all ingredients except the cheese until a smooth consistency is reached.
- Toss the Cactus Salad with the dressing.
- Serve into individual plates and garnish with crumbled queso fresco.